Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Impact of a Little Bit of Knowledge: A Learning Journal

Wow...what a journey so far! And it's only been a few months. 

"A little bit of knowledge"...the name of my blog is far more appropriate to my knowledge level concerning adult learning than I would have ever dreamed.  You function in a career for a number of years, and while you've had some education....you discover that you are so not educated as you (or others, thank goodness) might have thought.   The good news is that while in the original quote, "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"...I don't think I've "killed" anyone with my limited knowledge level. Maybe that is yet to be discovered, though!!  We will surely have to conduct autopsies, if such is the case.

Strengths:  My truest strengths are my tenacity to stick to what I started, my willingess to admit I don't know it all...and my willingess to learn and apply. I also can learn and apply very quickly.  And I have strong writing and creative abilities.  Not a bad package, if I must say so myself.  Surely these will serve as my witnesses if there is a trial concerning death by a little bit of knowledge.

Insight:  Insights...where do I start?  Some I've already noted....like I really didn't know it all, after all...I am really not the center of my own universe.  While I thought I was very learner focused, I can become so much more so by changing up a few things.  Another insight is that I haven't used or known how to use technology to my greatest abilities.  This is a shame really, since there's so much one can do with it.  But I am beginning to learn and apply.  (I will admit these - technology -  were not the most easily applied skills.)

Improvement: I am still learning to balance work time with "school time."  I am doing a much better job and know I have to plan it all out in advance. This week has been particularly difficult for me as I had major projects to finish at work in preparation for an 11 day vacation. My son is getting married in just a few days and both my family and the bride's family are tucked away in a beautiful house on the Outer Banks of NC...and what am I doing on this Saturday morning while all are out at play...homework.  No matter how well I plan, sometimes other things get in the way that I cannot control.  I don't think I leave enough time in my planning for Plan B or the unexpected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment