Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 23, 2011

White Water Rafting

"Search Efforts Still Underway for Local Educator"...the headline about jumped off the page; my coffee suddenly ice cold in my throat, even though the newspaper was several years old.  Funny that I would find it today as I was packing up old books in preparation for moving to a new position. 

I remembered that day...I was stuck under a rock with just a tiny crevice for breathing room.  I could hear people calling my name, but I couldn't see anyone. I sensed they were about to call off the search, but I couldn't make them hear me over the rushing water. It was almost dark. I was pinned between two rocks - that looked like they were joined together - sort of like between a rock and a hard place....

What a great analogy to an experience I suffered - yes, suffered (it was painful) a few years back.  I was eventually rescued, obviously.  And though I wondered then about the safety of my chosen profession, I kept right at it...because I realized that when you are teaching (or white water rafting), you are often between a rock and a hard place.   If you aren't careful, you can propel yourself right out of the raft and into a downspout, never to be seen again. 

On this particular rafting trip, I was facilitating a session on presentation skills with a group of individuals with whom I believed I had developed a certain level of trust. We were also working on giving honest constructive feedback, something the group had difficulty demonstrating.   During the course of the session, the team decided to make a game of it and appointed "judges," playing off the very popular (at the time) television show American Idol.  I remember thinking to myself..."Wow, we are finally at a good place here..they're having fun; they're learning; they've accepted what we're trying to do.   Feedback sessions should go well."  

The next member of the group walked slowly to the front of the room and in a low, monotone voice began to share his thoughts.  It was beyond boring. In a moment of love and trust and openness with the group, I decided to make a visual statement of constructive feedback; pretending to be Simon from American Idol.  I laid down on the floor, put papers over my eyes and started "snoring." 

Most of the participants laughed, even the "presenter."  Made bold by the laughter, I played Simon to the hilt for the rest of the session.  A few days passed. I was still reeling from the success of the session and the connection with the group. And then...my boss called me into his office, proceeding to share with me that I had offended the "presenter" and possibly some other individuals.  He suggested that I might want to do some "damage control."  I became a bit angry...how dare they laugh like everything was okay and then go behind my back and complain.  I had thrown my life jacket to the wind and now felt like I was drowning. 

Back in the raft, life jacket tight around me, I began the "damage" control efforts.  I was no longer angry.  I felt, instead, a sense of failure and depression.  What was it going to take to turn the raft in the right direction?  I called the "offended party" first.  To my astonishment, he apologized to me for complaining, sharing that he (nor the group) was accustomed to honest feedback.  It was hard for him to hear and he reacted rather than responded when someone asked him about the session.  The other participants shared much the same...if anything, I caught them off guard with the honesty.  And perhaps, I could have shared the feedback a bit differently...I took it too far with the Simon role. 
  
As a result of that experience, this white water rafter decided to better prepare herself along with her fellow rafters for the next trip down the river.  Navigating the river is hard enough when the water is smooth.  Keeping the raft in the water is key to success...as is not stirring up the river unnecessarily.  


2 comments:

  1. Hi: I enjoyed your White Water view and how you portrayed the information was well done. In commenting on your trust in students, rule of thumb is "Never trust your students no matter how much they lead you to believe that they can be trusted or how much you like them as individuals. I have found that students can create a whole lot of heartache for instructor's especially when they find out that they have your trust. Do not allow them to embrace you as you would your family or friends. Trusting a student as you have found could have been a disaster, however you were lucky. The Idol bit could have taken anyone a bit off kilter, because anyone may have taken what you were doing as picking on them thus taken it the wrong way. Do not allow your guard to come down when you teach students and even if a student says they have complete trust in you and you in them, be very careful what you say to them. The students thrive on causing issues amongst other students and what you say or portray to them needs to stay professional and student to instructor. Hope this helped a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,

    WOW, I loved the beginning of your story, you had me believing it was a real news account and it fit so well into our assignments.

    You, like our author Dr Brookfield, took a plunge into complete honesty that nearly sank you. Good thing you had your life vest on and were able to recover so well. Did Simon come back for any further classes? The idea was a good one, maybe you should observe and fill in where needed like a producer or director instead of one of the judges, and leave those positions for fellow students.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete